About the college
In order to recruit more talented students, KMOU has extended its scholarship programs. More information on scholarships is available at www.kmou.ac.kr. There are on- and off-campus scholarships and about 53% of students are receiving scholarship benefits including state scholarships for maritime students
A. Merit-based scholarships for freshmen
|Top 1 freshman of the whole university||4 years (8 semesters) tuition and fee waied Additional 2 million won per year|
|Second place freshman of the whole university||4 years (8 semesters) tuition and fees waived Additional 1 million won per year|
|Top 1 freshman of a college||4 years (8 semesters) tuition and fees waived Additional 1 million won per year|
|Outstanding freshmen of the national college entrance exam(10 or less freshmen who earned level 2 or above in all areas of NSTA.||1 year (2 semesters) tuition and fees waived Additional 1 million won.||In the case of the freshman who is both top 1 of the university as well as top 1 of a college, only one favorable scholarship can be applicable.|
|College||Levels of Scholarship||Benefits||Remarks|
|College of Maritime Sciences||B||Exemption of all the school supporting fees|
|C||Exemption of half of the school supporting fees|
|College of Ocean Sciences College of Engineering College of International Studies||A||Exemption of tuition|
|B||Exemption of all the school supporting fees|
|D||Exemption of the admission fee and tuition|
National Merit Scholarship
In accordance with the article 22 of the National Merit related law and article 42 of the enforcement ordinance, offsprings of a person of the National Merit, obtained a GPA, 70/100 of the prior semester, will receive an exemption of tuition. The prior semester GPA does not apply to the person of the National Merit him/herself and freshmen. (If the student him/herself is a designated person of National Merit, he/she will receive the scholarship until graduation. In the case of person of independence merit, the scholarship will be given to even offsprings of one's daughter's son.
Required documents: a copy of evidentiary document of an offspring of one's national merit (new applicants only)
Scholarship for National Basic Livelihood Security Recipients
Recipients approved by the law of national livelihood security or their offspring who earned the GPA 2.5 or above of prior semester will receive an exemption of admission and instructional fees and half of the school supporting fee.
Required document: a copy of evidentiary document of a person of the national basic livelihood security, issued by oneâ€™s county office
Scholarship for siblings enrolled in the university at the same time
Among siblings enrolled in the university at the same time, one sibling who earned the GPA 2.5 or above of prior semester can apply for the scholarship. The amount of scholarship is half of school support fees (It is possible to apply for the scholarship when one of siblings has a GPA 2.5).
Required documents : a copy of the resident registration or family register, a copy of oneâ€™s proof of enrollment
Scholarship for skilled athletes
Selection of skilled athletes : an athlete who is selected as a candidate for the scholarship in accordance with admission policies of the year.
- (a) The number of scholarship beneficiaries is determined based on the given sport entries and the number of athletes determined by the university in accordance with admission policies of the year. The selected athlete will get a benefit of tuition waive. In order to get the benefit, he/she should gain a GPA of 2.0 or above in the second, third, and forth semester. From the fifth semester, the athlete who got the first place in a national tournament and gained a GPA of 2.0 or above will receive a benefit of tuition waive, and second and third placer will receive a benefit of school support fees waive.
- (b) An athlete who did not receive the scholarship at the time he/she got admission can also be eligible for the scholarship in accordance with entry (a) above, when he/she earned a GPA of 2.0 or above in the prior semester and got the first, second, and third place in a national tournament.
Eligibility : Applicable from 1998 admission receivers However, entry (b) is not available from 2003 admission receivers (abolition).
Scholarship can be given to a student who contributed to the development of the university or whom the president recommends after the deliberation of scholarship committee on him/her. In the case of foreign students, the full tuition will be waived.
Scholarship for offspring of a person who work for an educational institute. 100,000 won is given in the second semester to offspring of a person who work for an educational institute.
Scholarship for a person who passes the High Civil Service Examination A student who passed a national examination will receive following scholarships:
(1) A student who passes the bar examination, the civil service examination, the foreign service examination, the technology examination, local public service examination, or similar types' examination (Final selector : 1 million won, Winner of the preliminary exam : 500,000won)
A student who passes the examination for tax accountant, custom service, legal staff, and appraisal evaluator (Final selector : 500,000won, Winner of the preliminary exam : 300,000won)
Eligibility: A student who has a financial difficulty so that he/she wants to support oneself by themselves.
- First semester : March, April, May, June
- Second semester : September, October, November, December
- Student can work during the vacation in certain facilities such as the library and the computer center.
Work hours : 2 hours per day (8 hours during the vacation)
The scholarship is given based on the university policy of work-study scholarship.
Scholarship for National Livelihood Security recipients
A student whom the chair of the department recommends among ones who are identified by a county office as a national livelihood security recipient or who is from low income family will receive the full admission and instructional fees waive.
Required documents : a certificate of national livelihood security recipient issued by a county office, a recommendation letter of the chair of the department.